Active Start dates:
Every Monday, Monday October 16th to Monday December 18th for the fall session.
16:30 - 17:30 at Kinex Arena
ACTIVE START PROGRAM OVERVIEW:
- We do NOT play actual games against other teams: Active Start has no place for competition.
- We focus on having FUN and becoming comfortable on the ice by using simple group skating games and other fun activities.
- We focus on maximum participation: everyone is involved and active at all times.
- We will use modified/divided ice surface to allow more groups to participate.
- When possible, we will strive to use modified equipment that is scaled for the size of the participants (e.g. smaller nets).
- We will develop basic skating skills (basic stance, falling and getting up, edges, balance on skates, start, stop, walking all directions, forward/backward stride and glide).
- Although it is not a requirement, it is best when a new Active Start Athlete has had some prior skating lesson/training like a "Can-Skate" program.
- We will introduce sticks and rings, playing fun games to learn how to send, receive and carry a ring (on or off-ice).
- Introduce the concept of Ringette by playing mini-games.
Activities will encourage and promote the development of:
- group social skills (interactions, sharing, taking turns, helping)
- showing what you can do
Children are required to wear full equipment (including ringette mask and ringette stick). Children without full equipment will NOT be allowed on the ice.
NOTE: Each player will be provided with a St.Albert Ringette jersey at the first practice. This will need to be returned at the end of the season.
The list of equipment includes a certified helmet with ringette mask, neck guard, chest and shoulder pad, elbow pads, protective gloves, ringette pants, girdle, knee/shin pads, skates, and ringette stick.
**Hockey pants with shin pads and socks are also acceptable**
ACTIVE START DIVISION COORDINATOR
Hello everyone, my name is Jazmin Pitruniak and I am the new Active Start Coordinator. I have been playing ringette for the last thirteen years and coaching for the last five. I have played at many levels of ringette and got the opportunity to play under and experience many types of great coaching and playing styles that I wish to incorporate within my own coaching journey!
I am very excited to begin teaching this program and getting to know all you over the course of the season. If you have any further questions about the program, please feel free to email me or chat with me any time before or after the practices!
I believe that through this program the fundamentals of skating, ringette skills and game play should be taught in a positive, encouraging and fun environment that will overall promote a love for the game and confidence. While on the ice I am looking forward to creating a team atmosphere that will foster peer support and friendships.
Ensure the skating fundamentals are taught and improved on throughout the season
Ensure that ringette skills and game play are taught and improved on throughout the season
and of course have FUN!!